How to update your iPhone or iPad using iTunes
- Back up your iPhone or iPad with either iCloud or via iTunes.
- Launch iTunes on your Mac or PC.
- Make sure you’re on the latest version of iTunes. Go to About and then Check for Updates or visit iTunes.com.
- Plug in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch if it isn’t already.
- Click on iPhone, iPad, or iPod in the top left navigation.
- Click on the Check for Update button in the first section that contains information about your device — alternately you can click restore instead if you’d like to do a clean wipe with updated software.
- An update should be recognized, click on Download and Update in the popup menu and agree to any terms or conditions.
- Unlock your device with your passcode if prompted in order to continue with the upgrade.
That’s it. Simply leave your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch plugged in and once your device reboots, you should be running the most up to date version of iOS. Just be sure you don’t disconnect until iTunes is done.